The best sunflower online delivery
Table of Contents
Written by Hannah Kingston on August 8, 2021
Sunflowers are a gloriously cheerful flower. They are the perfect way to brighten up your loved one’s day.
Sunflowers are a way to celebrate joy, say congratulations, well done, get well soon or celebrate any cheerful occasion.
Read on to learn more about the best sunflower online delivery, the meaning on sunflowers, when to send sunflowers and how to care for them.
The best sunflowers online delivery
$39.99 - $125.00
$35.99 - $63.99
Meaning of sunflowers
Sunflower has a variety of meanings across the world.
In Western cultures, sunflowers are said to be associated with positivity, strength, admiration and loyalty.
In China, sunflowers are said to mean good luck and lasting happiness. According to Interflora, “The ancient Greeks believed that sunflowers turned towards the sun because of the nymph Clytie’s adoration of Apollo, the God of the Sun. At first he loved her too but then he turned his affections towards another nymph. In a jealous rage, Clytie told the other nymph’s father and as punishment he buried her alive. Outraged, Apollo turned Clytie into a sunflower, but her love for him was so strong she watched him move across the sky each day - just as sunflowers follow the sun.The scientific name for the sunflower is Helianthus. It comes from the Greek words “helios”, meaning sun, and “anthus”, meaning flower.”
Sunflowers also evoke optimism, happiness, longevity, peace, admiration, honesty, and devotion.
Best occasions for sunflowers
Sun-flowers are a wonderfully versatile and can be used to mark any joyful occasion.
Here are some of the best occasions for sunflowers:
- Good luck
- Moving house
- Friendship milestones
- Romantic milestones
- Get well soon and healing
- To celebrate an end to exams
- Moving house
How to care for sunflowers
If you have been the lucky recipient of a potted sunflower, there are a few things to bear in mind to keep them fresh and healthy.
- Make sure your sunflowers have enough water. Sunflowers need deep and regular watering.
- Water your sunflowers in the morning, as root rot can set in over cold nights. Sunflowers can also benefit from a liquid fertiliser every two to three weeks, which will boost their height.
- Insert a stake into the pot, they may need to be staked to ensure that they continue to grow upright.
- Ensure that you keep the potted sunflowers in a place of low wind exposure to ensure that the sunflower stems maintain stable within the pot.
- Spread a 10cm layer of mulch around the sunflower stems to ensure that the soil is kept moist and pests can be repelled.
- Depending on how many birds spend time in your garden, consider placing a net over the sunflowers to protect the seeds.
- Sunflowers grow best in well-drained, fertile soil, with a pH level of 6-7.5. If you are re-potting ensure that you have hardy soils.
- Sunflowers require 6–8 hours of sunlight each day. Ensure that you keep them in a well-exposed area.
How to plant sunflowers
If you are hoping to plant sunflowers, it is best to plant in early spring or summer when the soil is starting to get warmed, make sure that you use compost to create the right environment for the sunflower seeds.
Place sunflower seeds 60cm apart and 2cm deep. Sunflower seeds take 8-10 weeks to flower.
As with the potted sunflower advice, ensure that the flowers have good access to sunshine and are in a low-wind area. Best of luck!
Written by Holly Hughes on May 18 2022 The area around your mailbox can look a little forlorn when compared to the rest of your flowering garden. Sometimes, we can...
17 May 2022
Written by Holly Hughes on May 14 2022 France is known for many things, not least the beautiful flowers that sweep its countryside, adorn its cities, and scent its beautiful...
13 May 2022
Written by Holly Hughes on May 12 2022 Finding the best bushes for front of house gardens can transform a lack-luster yard into a characterful, interesting, and vibrant space. As...
11 May 2022