The best sunflower online delivery
Table of Contents
Written by Hannah Kingston on August 8, 2021
Sunflowers are a gloriously cheerful flower. They are the perfect way to brighten up your loved one’s day.
Sunflowers are a way to celebrate joy, say congratulations, well done, get well soon or celebrate any cheerful occasion.
Read on to learn more about the best sunflower online delivery, the meaning on sunflowers, when to send sunflowers and how to care for them.
The best sunflowers online delivery
1800Flowers: Best flower delivery overall
$39.99 - $125.00
From You Flowers: Online flower experts
$35.99 - $63.99
BloomsyBox: Best for subscription
SendFlowers.com: Cheap flower delivery
Florists.com: Best for supporting local florists
Teleflora: Best for same-day delivery services
Meaning of sunflowers
Sunflower has a variety of meanings across the world.
In Western cultures, sunflowers are said to be associated with positivity, strength, admiration and loyalty.
In China, sunflowers are said to mean good luck and lasting happiness. According to Interflora, “The ancient Greeks believed that sunflowers turned towards the sun because of the nymph Clytie’s adoration of Apollo, the God of the Sun. At first he loved her too but then he turned his affections towards another nymph. In a jealous rage, Clytie told the other nymph’s father and as punishment he buried her alive. Outraged, Apollo turned Clytie into a sunflower, but her love for him was so strong she watched him move across the sky each day - just as sunflowers follow the sun.The scientific name for the sunflower is Helianthus. It comes from the Greek words “helios”, meaning sun, and “anthus”, meaning flower.”
Sunflowers also evoke optimism, happiness, longevity, peace, admiration, honesty, and devotion.
Best occasions for sunflowers
Sun-flowers are a wonderfully versatile and can be used to mark any joyful occasion.
Here are some of the best occasions for sunflowers:
- Good luck
- Moving house
- Friendship milestones
- Romantic milestones
- Get well soon and healing
- To celebrate an end to exams
- Moving house
Read:Different kinds of flowers and what they mean
How to care for sunflowers
If you have been the lucky recipient of a potted sunflower, there are a few things to bear in mind to keep them fresh and healthy.
- Make sure your sunflowers have enough water. Sunflowers need deep and regular watering.
- Water your sunflowers in the morning, as root rot can set in over cold nights. Sunflowers can also benefit from a liquid fertiliser every two to three weeks, which will boost their height.
- Insert a stake into the pot, they may need to be staked to ensure that they continue to grow upright.
- Ensure that you keep the potted sunflowers in a place of low wind exposure to ensure that the sunflower stems maintain stable within the pot.
- Spread a 10cm layer of mulch around the sunflower stems to ensure that the soil is kept moist and pests can be repelled.
- Depending on how many birds spend time in your garden, consider placing a net over the sunflowers to protect the seeds.
- Sunflowers grow best in well-drained, fertile soil, with a pH level of 6-7.5. If you are re-potting ensure that you have hardy soils.
- Sunflowers require 6–8 hours of sunlight each day. Ensure that you keep them in a well-exposed area.
How to plant sunflowers
If you are hoping to plant sunflowers, it is best to plant in early spring or summer when the soil is starting to get warmed, make sure that you use compost to create the right environment for the sunflower seeds.
Place sunflower seeds 60cm apart and 2cm deep. Sunflower seeds take 8-10 weeks to flower.
As with the potted sunflower advice, ensure that the flowers have good access to sunshine and are in a low-wind area. Best of luck!
How to Send Flowers By Mail Shipped in a Gift Box
Written by Holly Hughes on March 27, 2023 Sending flowers to a loved one can be stressful, as you want to ensure they don’t get damaged in the journey. Whether...
26 March 2023
What Flower Do You Get For Prom?
Written by Holly Hughes on March 20, 2023 Prom is such an important occasion in the life of a student. It symbolizes new beginnings, as well as celebrating the accomplishments...
19 March 2023
How Many Species Of Orchids Are There?
Written by Holly Hughes on March 13, 2023 Orchids are a plant known all over the world for their elegant beauty and delicate flowers. However, the reason these stunning blooms...
12 March 2023